- Train employees on the proper handling and use of the materials: The likelihood of costly spills or accidents is greatly reduced. Mishandling of some materials can result in severe injury or death.
- Make sure products are stored according the manufacturers recommendations: When materials are stored in conditions that destabilize the product, hazardous chemical reactions can occur. Bulging drums, toxic gases and fires are just a few of dangerous consequences.
- Don’t buy large amounts of the material unless you plan to use it within a few months: Each organization has to weight the costs and benefits of buying products in bulk. Carefully consider the cost savings of buying and storing products versus the cost of dealing with an accidental spill.
- Dispose of outdated or excess materials as soon as possible: Some companies will accumulate waste materials for years before trying to dispose of them. As time goes on, the cost of disposal services rises and rusted or damaged containers can make it more expensive. Staying on top of disposal on a regular basis can prevent budget-busting problems down the line.
- Contact an emergency responder before an emergency: A quick and efficient cleanup after a spill is crucial to getting back to normal operations. The contractor must be reliable, knowledgeable and have the right equipment for the job. Rather than frantically searching for a responder as an accident is unfolding, take the time to find the right one before disaster strikes. Protect Environmental has dedicated the past twenty-one years to emergency hazardous materials cleanup and special waste disposal, so we have a proven track record when it comes to helping our clients cope with spills. We invite you to contact our office and build a relationship before you ever need us for an emergency.
Richard Cameron is the CEO of Protect Environmental Services.
Protect Environmental Services, Inc. (PESI) is your best-in-class “clutch” performer when you need a First Responder. PESI tackle & remediate the most dangerous chemical spills & removal of hazardous waste. In fact, our pursuit of safety & rapid response for environmental sustainability surpasses ALL other environmental service companies. PESI has been rapidly responding to emergency environmental calls in North Central Texas since 1996.
Richard is also a published author of the “Ebola Response Procedures.” Additionally, he is considered an expert witness to many litigation and mediation cases. He works with multiple law enforcement agencies in forensics to hunt down illegal dumping perpetrators.